Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Power of the Cross

Posted by Candace

It seemed much too trite to throw these pictures into a photo album on Facebook.  I think it's because I have spent many of the moments I have felt closest to God at the ocean.  There is just something holy about the beach (and I am not talking about most of the bathing suits people wear).  I think it speaks to me so loudly because as I walk across the grains of sand, I remember that His thoughts toward me are just as many...and when I gaze out across the water, I remember that His love for me is deeper and wider and higher... and when I wade out into the waves, I remember that He has cast all my sins into its depths.  The ocean is special and it is a gift.

So my opportunity to introduce my beloved daughter to this place was a very special one.  A girl who had never seen such a sight as this.  She was excited from the moment we explained where she was going.  Viviene, my Mandarin friend, was over working with Jessica on her English and I asked her to explain to Jessica where we were going.  She ran around the house jumping for joy and hugging Nathan exclaiming, "We go to the beach!"  She was very happy... not so happy on the 7 hour car ride to get there, but happy before and after said car ride.

We stayed the weekend at my dad's place and he and his wife were very gracious to allow all 7 of us to invade their 2 bedroom home.  We arrived on Friday night and slept in on Saturday while they were at a previously planned engagement, but when they arrived home, it was time to go.

This was the scene when we arrived...






She waded carefully into the water and then before we had barely a chance to take a picture, she embraced it...





She embraced it like she has being a big sister...





She embraced it like she has being part of a family...




She embraced it like she has being an American...




She sat down and covered herself in it as if she never wanted to leave...




This girl, once poor...



Now crowned...



That, my friends, is the power of the cross.

0 comments: